How Exemplis Uses Internal Newsletters to Foster Employee Engagement Across Multiple Locations
With Corey Kachigan, Engagement and Communications Lead
Key results from using ContactMonkey
Exemplis was founded in 1996 in Southern California. They are currently the largest volume manufacturer of office seating in North America. Recently, they have expanded their product portfolio to provide their customers with a full suite of office furniture offerings.
About Corey Kachigan
Corey started at Exemplis as their Employee Engagement Specialist. She’s now in the role of Engagement and Communications Lead (or as she likes to put it, Lead Fun-gineer). Corey directly reports to the VP of Human Resources, and now handles all employee engagement, internal communications and corporate social responsibility at Exemplis.
Exemplis is undergoing a phase of massive growth and they’re averaging double-digit growth year over year, with headcount doubling in the last three years alone. The team is spread out across multiple locations and has a remote sales staff across the United States.
When Corey started back in 2017, there were no internal communications. They had no newsletters of any kind and were just sending out random ad-hoc emails for announcements.
Corey and her boss realised that they needed a way to send out meaningful content in addition to understanding and evaluating how employees were engaging with their communications and to ensure everyone was aligned with the core values and company vision.
Obviously, this isn’t ideal at such a fast-paced company; not being able to tell if employees were actually reading and clicking on their emails and announcements, or how they felt about them if they were.
Before ContactMonkey, Corey was using MailChimp. When using MailChimp the team faced difficulties importing templates, updating employee mailing lists and found they had no way of whitelisting certain information.
With a constantly changing team spread all over the country, and with more product launches happening in one year compared to the last 23 years, Corey and the team needed a solution that would allow them to:
- Stimulate engagement between a diverse group of employees.
- Stay focused on growth while ensuring that employees continue to align with the company’s culture.
- Resolve poor communication practices that existed across the company.
- Put metrics in place to gauge how their internal communications efforts were working and understand the return on investment from communicating effectively with employees.
When Corey was shopping around for an internal communications email platform, she wanted to be able to prove a return on investment for communicating with employees.
Corey found that ContactMonkey has a really crisp format that functions well with Exemplis’s Outlook inbox. With ContactMonkey all employee communications come straight from her Outlook email address, instead of a third-party system like MailChimp.
With ContactMonkey, the Employee Engagement team now has the power to:
- Start rolling out communications into smaller areas of the business where it still feels very consistent to the brand and who Exemplis is internally.
- Gather employee feedback and keep a pulse on how employees are actually feeling.
- Present data to the CEO and get input on how to execute on similar initiatives.
- Arm other team leaders who might want to create newsletters.
Since introducing ContactMonkey the team at Exemplis can now turn their newsletters into a two-way communication channel with pulse surveys and gather employee feedback through ContactMonkey’s comments feature.
As small sectors of the company start to roll out their communications initiatives under Corey’s guidance, communication can now be rolled out on a smaller scale whilst staying on brand. There’s no longer the strain of using multiple platforms to get to the result. Her fellow employees can just plug and play with templates.
One of the larger indicators of success is if employees are tuning into company communications. Since introducing ContactMonkey, Corey can now understand what actually engages employees and also conduct random pulse surveys and gather employee feedback in a consistent and efficient way. The employee engagement team can now easily identify if:
- Employees feel like they understand the company’s strategic alignment.
- Employees feel like their manager supports them.
With ContactMonkey’s internal communication software the Exemplis team have benefited in the following ways:
- Communication with the team can now happen consistently and has data behind it.
- Updates and changes in the organization can be communicated in an effective, interactive manner, especially with multiple teams and during seasonal hiring cycles.
- Corey finds there are much fewer errors in the employee newsletter due to the design and functionality of the ContactMonkey internal communications tool and integration with Outlook.
- The team have become more accountable and can identify what actually engages employees.
- Prioritize connecting with employees and understanding where their pain points are.
Like what you’ve read?
Get your own copy of this case study.
Get your own copy of this case study.