How to be More Data-Driven About Your Internal Communications with Cimpress
With Ashley Allen Director, Strategic Communications & Operations
Key results from using ContactMonkey
Email tracking for us feels like a necessity. I should know how many people are opening, clicking and reacting to my emails. It ultimately ends up informing long-term planning. The tool has helped me figure out which subject lines catch more attention.
Cimpress is a strategically focused group that specializes in mass customization. Cimpress businesses make customized print, signage, apparel and other products accessible and affordable to everyone. Cimpress businesses include BuildASign, Drukwerkdeal, Exaprint, National Pen, Pixartprinting, Printi, Vistaprint and WIRmachenDRUCK.
About Ashley Allen
Ashley Allen is the Director, Strategic Communications & Operations managing communications in the workplace across the global footprint of Cimpress Technology, a 400-person software team whose mission is to deliver modular technology products and services that provide value to Cimpress businesses and their end customers. She works with technology executives to develop the vision and goals for the technology organization and share it through cohesive messaging. This includes a range of communications programs such as town hall meetings and employee emails.
I wanted to be deliberate about understanding the metrics behind our communications. We were feeling a bit behind in this area of internal communications and I wanted to understand how to use metrics to our advantage.
In Cimpress Technology, email remains a critical channel for communicating with team members and circulating updates about the mission and progress within the organization. The internal communications team knew they needed a way to track who was opening their emails and capture the when, where and how. They sought a tool that could:
- Help them understand who’s reading their communications and clicking on their links.
- Empower them with metrics and analytics to gauge which messages resonated most with their team members.
- Allow them to send compelling, designed content and track within Outlook.
Before ContactMonkey, the team was either not tracking anything through Outlook, or using a third-party system for specific
content, like Newsletters. We wanted to have everything in one place – the place we lived in all day long. We were able to do that with ContactMonkey.
With ContactMonkey, the Cimpress Technology internal communications team benefited by:
- Being able to see opens and clicks emails and how engaged employees were with their communications.
- Using ready-made newsletter templates to send out quick communications to their employees without having to leave Outlook.
- Experimenting with subject lines and content formats to see which ones performed best.
- Pulse surveys and social reactions enabled them to get quick feedback from employees on how they felt about something instead of asking them to fill out a comprehensive survey.
- Identifying which times of day to send emails to employees located in US East Coast, Europe, and other parts of the world.
- Creating a specific look and feel around their bi-weekly demo announcement emails.
Email tracking for us feels like a necessity. I should know how many people are opening, clicking and reacting to my emails. It ultimately ends up informing long-term planning. The tool has also helped me figure out which subject lines catch our team’s attention.
The solution enables communicators to track email metrics and send newsletters without having to leave Outlook. This was especially beneficial for Cimpress Technology.
- It helped increase the relevance of Cimpress Technology’s communications, enabling them to test different subject lines and create communications that matter to team members.
- It enabled the Cimpress Technology internal comms team to get creative with their email templates, allowing them to create an attractive look and feel for their bi-weekly demo emails.
- ContactMonkey is purpose built for internal communication email tracking.
- The solution is designed to make internal communicators more effective and prove the value of their work.
It’s been really helpful to experiment with what times of the day work best for reaching our global audience and ensure we get maximum opens. We’ve used ContactMonkey to be more data-driven about our internal communications programs.
Like what you’ve read?
Get your own copy of this case study.
Get your own copy of this case study.